Casita On The Green Report
Happy Valentine's Day!
We have been enjoying an amazing winter with birds galore. Don't forget to stop by the shop tomorrow , Monday and Tuesday to get in on the last days of our ONCE A YEAR "every Bird Food is on sale" SALE!
So many birds have been coming to Casita on the Green (my lil' home) this month. These are the birds at my feeders and birdbaths this morning:
Dark-Eyed Juncos, BlueJays, Cardinals, Orange-crowned Warbler,
Yellow-Rumped Warbler, White Wing Doves, Eurasian Collard Doves, Mourning Doves,
Starlings, House Finches, American Goldfinches, Pine Siskins, Red-Bellied Woodpecker.
My Bluebirds (I have had seven Bluebirds eating my mealworms for the past 2 months) have been upset by the starlings. I have added a caged Bluebird feeder and that has helped give them their own feeding spot. I didn't see them this morning or yesterday morning, but I am hoping that they are still with me as I love these sweet birds. We have cages in the shop to help you with any troublesome birds you might have that are running off your favorites. I will keep you updated on my bluebirds next month! Here are some other nature happenings this month:
Great Backyard Bird Count, mid-month, www.birdsource.org/gbbc
• Project FeederWatch continues, www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw
• February is National Bird Feeding Month
• Look for early-returning Ruby-throated Hummingbirds during the last week of February.
• Eastern Cottontail mating season.
• American Woodcocks are doing courtship flights.
• American Robin spring migration begins in late February.
• As days lengthen, Tufted Titmice and cardinals begin to sing.
• Sandhill Cranes can be seen migrating north in late February.
• Hibernating butterflies (Morning Cloak, Comma) emerge on warm days.
• Have houses ready for mature Purple Martins that will return by end of the month.
• Smith's Longspurs will be on their way back to the Arctic by the end of the month.
• Bluebird and other nest boxes need to be cleaned out this month.
Don't forget to stop by and get your Valentine a gift. A new feeder, a valentine wall hanging or flag- we will gift wrap it for you for free as always!
Enjoy this month and remember, It's always a beautiful day to feed the birds!